|reflections on 2008
||[Dec. 31st, 2008|03:06 pm]
the melting girl
|||||pet shop boys||]|
Yup it is time for that rare LJ post from me. I have to say that 2008 was a pretty good year. Like all years there were ups and downs but I am starting 2009 in a really great place. So here is a little recap and I'm sure I am leaving stuff out.
1.2008 started off with a great night at Death Guild. Dancing and drinking with my loved ones was awesome. And the next day my hang over was cured with bacon and friends at Marisa & Luke's house.
2. I gave myself a birthday party in February which was catered with amazing food from my friend Rebecca. So many friends came over to my house, the house I fall in love with more and more each day.
3. Another highlight of February was decided over the dinner table at Heather and Ted's house - that after a 7 year absence I would return to Burning Man. It was Thunderdome's 10th year on the playa and I was going to be there.
4. A big chunk of the next few months was prep and planning for Burning Man. I had to buy everything and being the project manager I am I had to over plan and over pack!
5. The spring also brought me 2 new friendships that were unexpected. These 2 have since become part of my inner circle and I am so glad to have them in my life. I have also grown closer with my parents and my brother which has been a great stabilizing force in my life.
6. 4th of July was my second annual BBQ for the holiday. This year included drunk croquet which was a blast! (yes it will return in 2009)
7. After what seemed like forever August arrived. I showed off my packing skills and filled my dad's cargo van with 4 people's stuff and Marisa, Luke, Shannon and I left for 2 week on the playa. It was an amazing 2 weeks. I meet new people, became closer with some I had known for years and learned how to drink everyday and not get hung over (thank you Sam). After almost 2 weeks of fun my girls and I walked out to a burn barrel where after a few words and some singing from Marisa, my wedding dress was torn off me and tossed into the fire. It was an amazing moment and the symbolism I needed to move forward.
8. I came back from Burning Man and after 4 showers and a steak dinner I was ready to face the rest of the year. I had to end a relationship that meant to much to me but I knew it was time to let go. It was a painful choice and I hurt someone I truly loved. I am thankful we have been able to stay friends.
9. Another big change came when I decided after 13 years of hosting Thanksgiving I would skip this year. It was a hard choice because I didn't want to let down all my friends who had spent so many years eating turkey and all the fixings with me. But this year was about taking care of me and the past 2 years had been such a drain on me to host I knew I needed to take a break. Because my friends rock everyone understood. So with a ton of stuffing I arrived at Heather and Ted's house to spend a stress free holiday with good friends.
10. November 6th was another big change - I was laid off from a job I loved. It wasn't personal, it is just what happens in business. I knew it was coming so I had been preparing for it. I have been able to take 2 months off which has been really good for me. I have learned to be comfortable and happy spending much of my time alone. I no longer have panic attacks after being alone for more than a few hours. It is an amazing feeling.
11. And finally I added a new member to my family. An adorable little black kitten named Ophelia. She has brought a ton of joy to me and Satine.
12. I forgot 2 things; Over Memorial Day weekend I went to the Hovel and saw what happens when you explode a 10 gallon propane take on a big fire - awesome!. I also went on my first fishing trip - thanks DTK!
As the year ends I wonder what 2009 will bring. It looks like I will be working at Apple for part of the year and then I will be off to Burning Man again in August. That is all I have planned other than DJing which will continue to be the thing that keeps me sane.
I hope everyone has a happy and fun New Years!